Our Naturopathic doctor, Dr. Jennifer Haessler can order blood and other testing to more effectively diagnose what may be out of balance and contributing to your symptoms.
Some of the most commonly ordered tests include:
- Conventional Blood Tests - our lab has the capacity to order any tests which seem pertinent to diagnosing or following a patient’s particular presentation or condition.. The basic yearly blood work that is helpful to perform includes a complete blood count (looks at the size and shape of red and white blood cells), comprehensive metabolic profile (liver, thyroid, and kidney function, electrolytes, cholesterol, triglycerides and glucose), ferritin (iron stores), vitamin B12 and vitamin D.
- Omega-3/Omega-6 measurements - optimizing the omega 3:6 ratio can help to decrease cholesterol, triglycerides, cancer risk, depression, anxiety, inflammation, and blood sugar levels.
- Food Allergy Testing - this is one of the most commonly performed tests at the clinc. The finger prick blood test measures the IgG immune response to 96 different foods. An elevated amount of IgG can contribute to any number of health complaints, including eczema, psoriasis, migraines, asthma, auto-immune diseases, heartburn, gallbladder problems, IBS, Crohn’s/Colitis, and recurrent upper respiratory infections. This is very different than the immediate IgE food allergy response that is tested by an allergist via skin testing.
- Stool analysis (and digestive analysis) - for patients with gastrointestinal distress, this is a very helpful test. It measures much more than what is typically looked at in a stool analysis run by your medical doctor. These parameters include: amounts of beneficial and pathogenic bacteria, presence of fungal, ova and parasite growth, quantity of digestive enzymes and fatty acids, as well as inflammatory and immune system markers.
- Adrenal Saliva Test - the adrenals are little almond sized glands that sit on top of each kidney. They make both reproductive and stress related hormones, such as cortisol and DHEA. If salivary cortisol is too high it can make you anxious, gain weight, have insomnia, wear down the lining of your intestinal tract, interfere with thyroid production, and make you more inflamed. If salivary cortisol is too low, it can cause fatigue and negatively impact your thyroid and metabolism. If salivary DHEA is too low, you will be more inflamed and heal more slowly. If salivery DHEA is too high, and you are a female, you may have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. This is a helpful test to run in patients with any of these concerns.
- Heavy Metal Toxicity - this test measures 14 different toxic metals in a patient's urine. Environmental toxicity is an etiological risk factor for hormonal, auto-immune, and/or scents. If the patient has a positive result, a comprehensive detoxification program is initiated.
- Body Composition Analysis measures your percentage body fat and lean mass, your basal metabolic rate, and your cellular health. It’s a great tool for benchmarking your health, particularly for people interested in weight loss and lifestyle change.
If you have any questions about these or other tests, please contact the office to have them answered.